I have been working on a big update for my blog for maybe 2 whole months now (with some lazy days with no coding), and I am finally all done! This update gives the blog a worthy design for this type of websites and a lot of tweaks.
The update contains over 10 new features and a lot of fixed bugs and improvements. It is so much done in this update, that Firefox 90.0 for Linux almost crashed when I went to the changelog page on Codeberg So I had to start SmartGit in order to see the changelog.
Here's the complete changelog:
- Added a new design with the touch of a real blog.
- Added new method to load the posts on the home page. This reduces the page load a lot.
- Added preparations for the edit feature. When this is done, whenever I edit a post, you can see what I've edited like in git (what I have added and what I have removed).
- Added the possibility for visitors to send suggestions of a blog post (see example). You can find this feature below a blog post when you're reading it.
- Added the possibility to randomly go to a blog post. You can find this link in the menu.
- Added a page that shows all comments for all blog posts. You can find this link in the menu. This page is not yet ready for smaller screens, like smartphones.
- Added a confirmation pop-up window when you click on "Send my comment" in the comment form.
- Added JSON support for the RSS feed.
- Added a transition when you switch themes.
- Added a new system of how tags will be linked to a blog post. Before, tags was added to a single column in the database. Now, the tags are added to 2 tables:
tagshandles the names and what language the tag are in, while
tags_linkedhandles what tags are linked to what blog posts.
- Added a "tag cloud" on the home page below all posts.
- Added support for SMTP for upcoming features.
- Changed how the comments are loaded and how you interact with the comments. No more page loads!
- Changed how the email address for a comment will be stored. Before, it was encrypted with the comment's password. Now, it is hashed with SHA-256.
- Improved the configuration file.
- Deleted the about page and added the content to the side panel.
I gave the visitor experience more work because that matters more than what the admin panel are. Because of this, the admin pages are not as finished as what the rest of the blog are. Will work on it later on.
One downside with this update is that the website seems to be slower than before the update (according to GTMetrix). The performance went down from 98-100% to 83-85%. Will try to fix this some day.
If you find any bugs or errors, please report them to me as a comment blow or on Mastodon